After spending four years of enriching study in our English classrooms, students should understand that . . .
- our understanding of words helps us refine our relationship to the world;
- our "reading" of the world creates a context for making meaning of language;
- the insightful use of language shapes our awareness of ourselves and others;
- our ever-evolving facility with language creates an appreciation for, and understanding of, life;
- the imaginative use of language, ideas, and communication inspires and empowers us.